The ‘50s were a period of rapid growth for the company, as manufacturing plants and distribution facilities were constructed or acquired throughout the West.
By 1959, Permanente Cement Company had an annual capacity of 2.8 million tons. Two additional cement plants were added: the Olympic plant in Bellingham, Washington and the Cushenbury plant in Southern California. Thirteen distribution plants distributed cement from Guam to Alaska to Southern California. The company’s own line of barges and two steamships, the SS Permanente Silverbow and the SS Permanente Cement, carried bulk cement shipments to ports along the Pacific Coast and in Hawaii. With strategic locations planned often years in advance, Permanente Cement was growing to serve an ever-increasing number of customers.